Job: Super Star Part Time Baker or Pastry Chef required!
We are a friendly team of cake lovers and cake enthusiasts (we literally live and breath cake!). Pia launched the Vanilla Pod Bakery back in 2009 and with the help of wonderful team members has grown it to what it is today. An award winning luxury bakery that creates the most delicious and indulgent cakes for the most amazing customers around! We operate from our shiny new dedicated cake studio in Leckhampton, Cheltenham and we are on the hunt for someone like you! A super star baker who ideally has some experience in a professional bakery/cake role, and someone who doesn’t mind being on their feet all day! (Though you do get rest breaks!)
£17,000 Pro Rata
Working hours required (however, this is likely to change as we get busier!)
Wednesday to Friday – 6:30am – 1:30pm – 7 hour shifts
Saturday -7:30am – 12:30pm – 5 hour shift
So, what is in it for you:
- All the cake you can eat! Any scraps of cake you are welcome to take home and munch on!
- Working with a friendly team, who all LOVE cake (though we do have other interests as well, feel free to ask)
- Annual Christmas Team Lunch
- Lovely air-conditioned bakery!
- 28 days holiday (including bank holidays) plus your birthday off
- We are mostly closed on a Monday.
- Staff bonus referral scheme
And what about the job requirements:
- You need to be the type of person who gets joy out of getting things done. Everytime you come in, you will create delicious bakes, dessert items and fillings to our wonderful tried and tested recipes.
- Pia has found over the years, Star Bakers have a super bakers ‘intuition’, it is not something we can really describe. It is just something that you have!
- Organisation is key. Being able to organise the week’s bakes and prepping the forthcoming bakes.
- Comfortable working alone and in a team. With the early morning starts, the likelihood is that you will be working alone for most of the morning until the other team members (the cake decorators) come into work.
- Thrive on working to a deadline. We don’t like to cause stress, and our door is always open, but working in a bespoke bakery often means working to very tight deadlines and sometimes we can’t go home until the job is done. Customers need their delicious cakes!
- It is all in the details. You need to be able to help keep wastage of bakery products to a minimum and make sure that each product you create is perfect every single day.
- Understanding of basic maths. When we bake we have to use maths all the time, though you are welcome to use the calculator (Pia always does!)
- Cleaning as you go. We have a lovely kitchen and we like to keep it that way, so washing up and cleaning is a must.
- You will also need to be able to roll your sleeves up and help where necessary. We are a small team at the Vanilla Pod Bakery, all team members sometimes have to help with all aspects in our world, from icing cupcakes, packaging cakes, assembling cakes, to helping at wedding shows to delivering and setting up our gorgeous cakes (local and further afield deliveries).
- We want you to be meticulous in your work. If you are shy or quiet (which actually sounds perfect for us) that is absolutely fine. We are not looking for the life of the party…in fact, quite the opposite. We are looking for a good, fun person, who gets stuff done!
In short your job is to help Pia and the team at Vanilla Pod Bakery, and of course have fun while doing it (jobs should always be fun!). Your role as a baker will be vitally important, as without you we have no cake to decorate or give to our lovely customers.
Our bakery is casual, but we do expect professionalism and punctuality.
However, what we don’t expect is you to know every single thing, we can teach you our way. Between us we have over 20 years of bakery and cake decorating experience! But do expect intelligence, energy and a get it done attitude.
If this is a job that gets you super excited, that you would even do it for free! We would be very grateful for that, but would prefer to compensate! Then this is what we offer: This is a part time bakers role. The pay is £17,000 per year pro rata and the hours will be 26 per week. You must work from our cake studio in Cheltenham.
In addition to being a super star baker person, you must also follow systems and processes. In fact, just to prove that you are detail oriented and can follow procedures, when you apply for this position in the subject line of the email you must include “I have found my perfect job!” in the subject line. Yep, that’s our little way to sort out the people who blanket send their CVs to anyone and everyone, from the folks (that’s you) who are truly interested in this position.
We are looking to bring our new team member on board as soon as possible, but we will spend the necessary time to find the best fit both in abilities and culturally. One thing that will give you a BIG leg up (but is optional) is to send a quick video in along with your CV. In your video tell us why you think you’re perfect for this job and why you will love this position. This is purely for us to get a sense of your personality. And if you decide not to send a video (that’s ok), please tell us why you chose not to send in a video.
We can’t wait to meet you!
Closing Date: 4th October 2020